Monday, October 4, 2010

A Change in Reading Preference

I've noticed my taste in fiction has been moving away from fantasy for about two years now. While reading an article Types and Trajectories of Music Genres (completely unrelated to fiction) by Dr Jennifer Lena I think I found a reason why.

"Genres that experience the explosive growth and aesthetic dilution characteristic of an Industry-based genre tend to suffer a crisis as their many casual fans find a new focus of attention."

Perhaps it's the blogs I follow and the repetitive coverage of the same--or similar--material, but I was never a hardcore fantasy fan. Now, I've lost most all interest. Without trying to paraphrase Dr Lena's definition of "industry-based genre" I can say the crisis is mine and not the fantasy genre's.

Anyone else completely over standard fantasy fair?

No comments: