Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year's Reading Resolution

This post is Maria's fault…  She called me out.  NO!  Of course I had no plans on sharing this list: that's why I left it out!  But, here it is; I'm doing it for the fans.  A concrete, documented list to point at should I fail.  (All jokes of course Maria; kinda.  Not really.)

On average I get through 45-50 books in a year.  My goal for 2014 will be to make sure that in addition to any other reading that the following ten books are read (or at least attempted).  They have been hanging around for too long, and I've been actively avoiding some of them.

In no particular order:

The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano.  I know nothing about this book; which is exactly how I like to start reading a novel.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon.  I think Chabon may be my favorite living author and yet I haven't read his magnum opus.  I should be excited but for some reason I'm apprehensive about starting this.

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.  I know nothing about this book other than the fact that Diaz with lots of awards and publishes very little.

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.  The press loves this book and Mantel.  I've never talked to a real person who read it and enjoyed--or hell, even got through it--or even another blogger for that matter.  I'm ear-marking this to be one I start reading and end up putting down.  Six-hundred pages of English history sounds like a tall order for anyone to write compelling fiction about.

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.  This one I'm looking forward to.  It may be the first on the list I read.

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.  I love his short stories.  I know nothing about this novel.

The Magus by John Fowles.  Possibly my favorite deceased author.  Seriously looking forward to it but daunted by the size.

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.  I don't know why, but despite liking The Shadow of the Wind this book has a 'reader repellent' on it.  Every time I get close to picking it up something pushes me away.

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters.  I know nothing about this book.

The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster.  A phenomenal writer who happens to wear me out.

So, those are my ten.  Read any of them?  Do I have some good stuff ahead of me?  Some fail?  Anyone wanna join in and read along as to keep me motivated?

3 comments:

Maria said...

Muahaha, you are in for it now. So much shame if you don't read these books now. :P

I would also be interested in reading The Name of the Rose. Let me know when you are starting it and I just might join you.

Out of the rest, I've only read The Angel's Game. It's good, but nowhere near as good as The Shadow of the Wind, unfortunately.

Marion said...

I've read 8. I am one of the ones who loved Wolf Hall and the sequel, Bring up the Bodies. I will warn you now... challenging point of view.

I read the Savage Detectives and thought... "Whaa...?" Sometimes I think about it now and go, "Whaa...?"

Chad Hull said...

What have you not read? I'm guessing The Brooklyn Follies and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

Not sure if that's a endorsement for Bolano!